Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Family hike and doctors appointments.

Have you ever wanted to do something so bad and then when you do it you wish you hadn't?  Ok, I know.  That's a pretty open and loaded question.

I wanted to take the kids on a hike yesterday through the old railroad tunnels in a neighboring city.  It was beautiful out!  Almost 80 degrees in February!  The hike was awesome!  I love seeing historical places and this was a close to home visit for us.  I was born and raised here so I thought the trail would be fun.  It didn't let us down.  Half way through we stopped for lunch.  It was the turn around point.  Did you catch that...?  Turn. Around. Point.  

I think I'm impervious to this new disease.  I used to over do things before and even though I enjoyed the hard work, my scoliosis and bad hip always got the best of me.  I'm stubborn at times and think I can do things that I know I really shouldn't.  

It wasn't that I pushed myself to continue the walk...  It was that I pushed my kids, too.  It was good and bad.  It reminded us of our Temple walk we did as a family a few years back.  Well, Bryan drove with the little ones while myself and the two oldest walked the half marathon.  



Our hike the other day ended up at around 9 miles.  Our littlest was a trooper and did most herself.  My husband and I switched off carrying her.  It was fun.  You could see a great view of the lake and the 5 railroad tunnels weren't too long that we needed a flashlight.



Then I decided to go further.  Which was fun...  At the beginning.  There were switchbacks.  If you are unfamiliar, they are steep ramps of doom made to lower its victims at an alarming rate without the use of machines.   Going down to the dam on them was great.  But once I got to the bottom I turned around.  I had to send my family back up it.  Oops.

We looked around for a bit, took some pictures of the kiddos in front of the dam, even with one kid mad at me because he couldn't throw a rock over the side.  (This is my favorite picture!)



We headed back to daddy who was still on the top of the parking garage with our puppy.  We were going to switch so daddy could see but had to head back because of time.  It would be dark in a few hours and we knew we would be going slow back.  

The first thing we had to hike was the switchbacks.  I barely made it to the top when my hip went out.  It was while I was carrying my youngest.   But I'm a trooper...  Or really dumb.  I didn't ask for a break. Well, I sat for a few minutes but knew I had to continue on.  So I got up and hiked uphill for another hour.  Partially carrying her.  Again, trooper or dumb.  The pain was excruciating.  I could barely put weight on it but I pushed through because I knew it was just pulled.  Nothing broken.  I had to get my family back to the car.  My husband was great.  He kept his "I told you so comments" to himself.  So I decided to keep my complaints to myself as well.  No matter what pain I was in, so was everyone else.  Just at their own levels of it.  

(Switch back pic....  I will insert it here later!!)

I have to say that even though we made it through to the end we had a really fun time on the trail.  Scott made a running joke of how if you go off the trail you will destroy the surroundings as well as getting hurt.  He went off too many times to count.  Five times of those he was injured.  Nothing big but the one that made me laugh was when he decided to throw a rock into a cactus and then pick it up to be impaled a few dozen times by its hair like needles.  It was Karma.  I laughed!  Poor kiddo.  



The trail was pretty busy but by the end we were almost the only ones.  We saw lizards, beautiful flowers, and a few big horn sheep.  One with big horns, too.  We made it back to the car just after the sunset.  It was pretty to end the hike at that time.  We picked up dinner and drove home...  Not one of them fell asleep in the car, too!  That surprised me.  

Sitting for an hour in the car was bad news for me though.  I have been walking very funny since we arrived home last night.  My right hip and both knees are in bad shape.  Especially my hip.  Last night it took me over three hours to fall asleep from the agonizing pain I was in.  Even after my detox bath I still hurt.  I almost didn't make it to the bathroom on my own but I did...  Just very slow and wobbly.

My appointment with the Infectious Disease Doctor.

Today I woke up to the kids getting up and was off to my doctors appointment.  My fatigue level was so low this morning that I really shouldn't have driven myself to the doctor.  I told my husband that he would just have to take me next time.  I came home and slept for another 4 hours.

My appointment was great as usual and we came up with a plan for the next month or so.  My MTHFR results came back negative and as from my last post about it that's good and bad.  Good because I do not have the genetic disorder and will not have to deal with that on top of everything else...  Bad because this means it is the Lyme acting up again and not a nutrient/detox issue. 

We went over the rest of my results from my blood work.  All most all levels were normal except two.  My white blood count and my iron level.  They weren't too worried about my iron level since I run low normally and have as long as I can remember.  It's never been low enough to do any harm and we are good with it being constant.  My WBC was low at 2.6. Normal range for the test was 3.4 to around 8 or 9.  (I forgot my copy so I will update the higher number later.). I will be starting steroids to try to raise these levels.  In two weeks we should see results.

For now I will skip the PICC line and Rocephin IV antibiotics and continue the doxycycline another 2 weeks.  Then assuming my white blood count is higher I will add Tindamax to the treatments to make them more effective.  After that we will see if I should go through the route of IV antibiotics.  

So for now, I'm on my couch. Helping with science projects and waiting until my hubby gets home.  Then we have our church events to go to tonight.  I planned on staying home to hide my hobble...  But looks like plans have changed.  At least I'm showered!!  Lessons learned, I guess...


No comments:

Post a Comment